Monday 12 July 2010

Confession

On the eve of my last tour as a Sandeman's New Prague guide, I suppose I would be remiss if I didn't take a moment to look back on the last 11 months.
The job I have being doing for close to a year has fulfilled many a quota on a perfect job list, but there's no such thing as a perfect job. They are called hobbies.
I must have given over 200 tours during this time and easily over 2000 tourists, and there very few that I remember very well.
I of course do remember some and I bet those people that I remember now will be images that stick with me when I remember this time in my life 40-50 years down the line.
But even though the job is the reason I came out here, it's not the reason I stayed. I could have left several months back and there were many a moment that I thought I should have. I stayed because of my friends of course. Within the confines of the job I outlasted a helluva lot of them. Some people who were only here for short periods, some who were here for several months, some of them who still are here and have moved on to bigger and better things - but not always.
Considering the amount of my friends that have been forcibly removed from their position as SNE guides, I consider myself lucky to have been able to keep this job for so long. According to Daddy himself the average lifespan of an SNE guide is 5-6 months.
I will be going home to pursue my love of writing, but who knows maybe you'll see me on the streets of London giving tours through the Big Smoke, but otherwise I guess Confessions of a Tour Guide, like I've said in a previous post, won't be Confessions of a Tour Guide for much longer. I will keep writing as I've landed an internship with altsounds.com so I will be reviewing music there that you can check out.

Maybe I will continue to blog and just change the title to Confessions of... the unemployed I'll have to see when I get home but otherwise...

... like I said right at the top of today's tour, me and my colleagues at Sandeman's New Europe, don't receive any other funding for this, so if I have entertained and informed you guys enough today, if you feel today's tour was worth paying for, then I will except your tips, but if you wanna help out in other ways, go back to your hostel, your hotel, whoever recommended you and give them a big kiss on the lips and say thanks, if not, then take a flier slap in the face with it and say why not!

No comments:

Post a Comment