Monday 11 January 2010

Confessions of a What?

Ok so I've blogged like four times now and not once have I ever really mentioned tour guiding... I don't know why it just hasn't come up but I figure I'll tell you guys a little bit about my job.

It Rocks.

Being a Tour Guide fits me like a glove on Michael Jackson. I was doing nothing the past summer due to the recession and a good friend of mine was doing this for a summer job. She invited me out and left shortly after to go back to Uni. Due to my amazing degree I had nothing else better to do so have stayed and will do until September at least.
Imagine this; stuck in an office with no window and a butt load of fake oxygen coming through an more often than not broken AC system, in front of some slow ass computer operating on Windows (eugh) moving data from one file to another for 8-9 hours a day, for some God awful wage.
Now here's the reality; walk around one of the most beautiful cities in the world for no more than three hours a day, earning a decent amount of money to live off and enough to put aside a small amount for travelling and (well lets be honest) drinking.

My job is the latter. I meet amazing people every single day and the majority of them have the same mindset as my own, the world is for the taking.
Travellers are really interesting, each person has their own story, their own reason for being there. My favourite tourist so far was an older gentleman, mid-seventies. He was doing a bus-about tour, London to Sydney in one hundred days. He had lost his wife earlier in the year and had received a large amount of money from life insurance. He was devastated but didn't want to spend his first Christmas and New Year alone, so he would join a Bus-about tour and spend these two special dates on Sydney Harbour Bridge watching the fireworks. This man was married for over 50 years and his wife would not have wanted him to be stuck in alone, depressed when he still had plenty of years left to enjoy life, and this is exactly what he has done.
It takes courage to attempt something like this, he has gone travelling with no one apart from the people he would be spending the next hundred days with. There are too many people who dismiss the older generation as being useless and not being able to offer anything to today's society and although they may have passed their peak in life this does not render them completely useless and this gentleman has proved it. He may never read this post but I wish this gentleman the best of luck and I hope he enjoys the fireworks!
I have also met people that may possibly be in my life for... the rest of it. Both tourists and the people I am touring with. There are people that I have made a strong connection with and I hope these connections remain for life, both in and out of the company.
The company itself, is... well, I don't think I should say too much just incase someone from the company ends up reading it. But there are problems within it. They a problems that are simply created I feel and although I am no CEO I personally believe this company can be run a lot smoother which is why I have often thought about starting up my own company. But that thought is for the future, maybe when I begin setting one up I'll post about this particular subject again, for now however lets brush it under the rug and leave this post where it is.

Ciao for now

No comments:

Post a Comment